Nasya treatment is one of the most important procedure of panchakarma treatment therapy of Ayurveda. Nasaya basically means administration of medicine or medicated oil/ghee through the nasal passage. Nasal passage is considered as the door to the brain in Ayurveda. As you can’t give any medicine directly to brain Nasya plays a very important role in mental diseases also.
Effects and benefits of Nasya treatment
A person who undergoes nasya karma properly and regularly never suffers from eye, ear or nose related disorders. It has following benefits
1. Prevents pre mature hair whitening
2. Reduces hair fall and improves hair growth
3. Provides relief from migraine, headache, facial paralysis, rhinitis , sinusitis
4. Bones of skull and sutures gets strong
5. Brings glow on face
6. Improves voice quality
7. Improves concentration
8. Slows aging
9. Improves skin tone
Medicines used in Nasya Treatment
For Nasya nostril procedure both medicated oil and ghee can be used but it is recommended to use oil as it is good for kapha shaman. Many medicated oil like anu tail(oil), bramhi ghrit, shadbindu oil, panhendriya oil etc are used . Anu tail is best for healthy persons and can be used for general purpose.
Types of Nasya
1. Virechan Nasya: This is also known as Pradhamana Nasya. It uses dry poweder instead of oils. With the help of a tube powder is blown into the nose. It provides relief in kapha related diseases like headaches, heaviness in the head, cold, nasal congestion, sticky eyes, hoarseness of voice due to sticky kapha, sinusitis, cervical lymph adenitis, tumors, worms, some skin diseases, epilepsy, drowsiness, Parkinsonism, inflammation of the nasal mucosa etc
2. Bruhana Nasya (nutrition nasya): This is mainly used in vata related diseases. Ghee, oils and medicated milk is used in this Nasya. Useful in migraine headache, dryness of voice, dry nose, nervousness, anxiety, fear, dizziness, emptiness, negativity, heaviness of eyelids, bursitis, stiffness in the neck, dry sinuses and loss of sense of smell.
3. Shaman Nasya (sedative nasya) used in the treatment of disorders such as thinning of hair, conjunctivitis and ringing in the ears. Generally certain herbal medicated decoctions, teas and medicated oils are used.
4. Navana Nasya (decoction nasya) is used in vata-pitta or kapha-pitta disorders and is made from decoctions and oils together.
5. Pratimarshya (daily oil nasya) is performed by dipping the clean little finger in the ghee or oil and inserting into each nostril, lubricating the nasal passage with gentle massage. This helps to open deep tissues and can be done every day and at any time to release stress.
When Nasya should not be done
Naysa karma should be avoided during heavy rainfall days, cloudy atmosphere and in very hot or very cold climates. It should not be given to children’s below 7 years and elderly person above 80 years.
How Nasya works
Head is the ruler of indriyas(senses) and kapha dosh. Nasya works on kapha dosha. According to Ayurveda, the medicine given through Nasya reaches up to the brain and thus it pulls out all the disease causing doshas(impurities). Medicine given through nostrils travels the entire passage and reaches the cribrifom plate, which is porous in nature. From there it is absorbed and reaches the tissues of brain. It is like the local application on the tissues of brain.
Nasya Karma Procedure
It is a easy procedure. It is good to give Nasya after the breakfast. The person should brush his/her teeth after breakfast. The person should be made to rest comfortable on a dry, dust free surface. It should be given in lying or sitting position . Head should be in slight upward position. Three to four drops of oil should be dropped in the nose with the help of dropper. Close one side of the nasal passage and ask to pull the breath, repeat the same for another nasal passage. Clean the face with hot napkin and massage the palms and feet. Spit the excrete of nose, do not swallow it. Lye for 10 minutes and then wash the face and mouth with warm water.
Post Nasya Karma
After the Nasya karma do not use cold water for bathing and drinking, use only luke warm water. Eat light food which is easy to digest. Do not sleep, travel, show anger after nasya karma treatment.